Migration of OpenStack Charm development to OpenStack upstream

Billy Olsen billy.olsen at canonical.com
Wed Nov 4 22:07:40 UTC 2015

This is great thanks! I look forward to having the code worked on in the
upstream OpenStack community.

I think as part of the cut-over, it'd be great to have a bot to monitor any
new merge proposals against the soon-to-be legacy bzr branches and add a
comment indicating that the charm work is now being done upstream. Since
this is something that OSCI bot is already monitoring, I think its a good
fit there.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:16 AM, James Page <james.page at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> This is something we've been discussing for a while; I'm starting to
> prep to switch development of the OpenStack charms to be hosted under
> the /openstack namespace upstream.
>
> We have a few things to complete before we can move.
>
> 1) Adding tox support for testing
>
> lint and unit tests will be run on OpenStack infrastructure upstream;
> supported via tox:
>
>    http://pad.ubuntu.com/tox-charm-landings
>
> Those all need to land before we can migrate.
>
> 2) Updates to amulet tests and OSCI
>
> Currently our development testing approach is very bzr centric; we
> need to fix that up to ensure everything continues to work once we move.
>
> 3) Migrate to git
>
> This process is already setup - charms are hosted on github:
>
> http://github.com/openstack-charmers
>
> this is not intended as a long term home for the charms, but as a
> intermediate step as part of 3)
>

> 4) Migration to upstream development infrastructures
>
> Currently proposed under:
>
>   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/232705/
>
> but marked as on-hold until we get everything sorted.
>
> 5) Acceptance as a formal OpenStack project
>
> Already reviewed by the OpenStack TC - they have +1'ed or move of
> development upstream, but want more of a feel for contributions before
> acceptance as a full project with PTL etc..
>
>    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224797/
>
> Once we've migrated, the workflow will be as it is upstream for any
> openstack project:
>
>    git clone http://github.com/openstack/charm-cinder
>    cd charm-cinder
>    git checkout -b wip/my-new-feature master
>    > do work <
>    git add .
>    git commit (add commit message)
>    git review (which proposes a change on gerrit for the team to review)
> .
>
> Take a read through:
>
>   http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html
>
> as it also includes all of the setup steps needed as well.
>
> I'd like to get the migration completed in the next two weeks so we
> get as much as possible of the 16.01 cycle happening upstream.
>
> Cheers
>
> James
>
> - --
> James Page