Migration of OpenStack Charm development to OpenStack upstream

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 2 10:16:09 UTC 2015

Hi All

This is something we've been discussing for a while; I'm starting to
prep to switch development of the OpenStack charms to be hosted under
the /openstack namespace upstream.

We have a few things to complete before we can move.

1) Adding tox support for testing

lint and unit tests will be run on OpenStack infrastructure upstream;
supported via tox:

   http://pad.ubuntu.com/tox-charm-landings

Those all need to land before we can migrate.

2) Updates to amulet tests and OSCI

Currently our development testing approach is very bzr centric; we
need to fix that up to ensure everything continues to work once we move.

3) Migrate to git

This process is already setup - charms are hosted on github:

http://github.com/openstack-charmers

this is not intended as a long term home for the charms, but as a
intermediate step as part of 3)

4) Migration to upstream development infrastructures

Currently proposed under:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/232705/

but marked as on-hold until we get everything sorted.

5) Acceptance as a formal OpenStack project

Already reviewed by the OpenStack TC - they have +1'ed or move of
development upstream, but want more of a feel for contributions before
acceptance as a full project with PTL etc..

   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224797/

Once we've migrated, the workflow will be as it is upstream for any
openstack project:

   git clone http://github.com/openstack/charm-cinder
   cd charm-cinder
   git checkout -b wip/my-new-feature master
   > do work <
   git add .
   git commit (add commit message)
   git review (which proposes a change on gerrit for the team to review)
.

Take a read through:

  http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html

as it also includes all of the setup steps needed as well.

I'd like to get the migration completed in the next two weeks so we
get as much as possible of the 16.01 cycle happening upstream.

Cheers

James

- --
James Page