Future of MOTU Council

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 3 05:16:04 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 22.02.2010 05:08, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>>     I believe the current MOTU council to be powerless, and not
>> necessarily representative of the future of MOTU.  As a result, I
>> believe that the current incumbents should be thanked for their work
>> to date, and resleased from the responsibilities of the Council.
>> Further, I suggest that all current responsibilities of MOTU council
>> revert to the Community Council, Developer Membership Board, MOTU
>> Meeting, or Technical Board, depending on from where they were
>> derived.

I have no objections to this.

>> This mailing list should be retained for preservation of
>> historical logs, and discussion of any future MOTU Council
>
> I think we should just close the mailing list and keep its archive
> around for hysterical raisins. I do all the moderation for the list
> right now and it's no fun. Keeping it open just for the sake of a
> discussion about some probable future MC seems to be a bit much, this
> discussion can easily happen on the MOTU mailing list too.

+1 for this as well (although I have moderated several hundred
messages ;) ). I don't like the idea of keeping a list around in case
we decide to hold a certain discussion in the future. The archives are
really the only thing we need to retain for this list.

>>     Once MOTU has settled into the new role defintion (4), I would
>> hope that then then natural polity would select a MOTU Council as part
>> of the governance structure.  My vision would include MOTU Council
>> with the following responsibilities:
>>
>>  * Oversee MOTU Leaders
>>  * Facilitate MOTU Meeting
>>  * Resolve MOTU disputes
>>  * Assist in alignment of policies and procedures with
>> distribution-wide practices

As Daniel said, we really do not need an MC for these duties. Most of
these tasks can be carried out by the different development teams. If
they cannot be, the DMB, TB, or CC can handle the issue. I think it is
also important that individual developers realize that there is
nothing stopping them from stepping up and trying to help out with
some of these responsibilities. For example, any developer can help
with MOTU meetings and with resolving disputes. We have a growing
number of developers, and we should take advantage of this rather than
trying to establish a new MC just for the sake of having one.

Nathan