Future of MOTU Council

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 1 13:07:56 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 03:44:22PM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> thanks for starting the discussion.

Apologies for killing it again by not responding :)

> On 22.02.2010 05:08, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>> I believe the current MOTU council to be powerless, and not
>> necessarily representative of the future of MOTU.  As a result, I
>> believe that the current incumbents should be thanked for their work
>> to date, and resleased from the responsibilities of the Council.
>> Further, I suggest that all current responsibilities of MOTU council
>> revert to the Community Council, Developer Membership Board, MOTU
>> Meeting, or Technical Board, depending on from where they were
>> derived.
> Agreed.

+1 as well.

>> This mailing list should be retained for preservation of historical
>> logs, and discussion of any future MOTU Council.
> I think we should just close the mailing list and keep its archive
> around for hysterical raisins.

I agree. Keeping it open seems confusing if there's not supposed to be
an MC.

> I do all the moderation for the list right now and it's no fun.

Hey, I'm sure I've moderated at least 5-6 e-mails or so over the last
couple of years :) You're just too fast!

> I personally feel that in the current setup a MC is an unnecessary,
> heavy-weight and bureaucratic addition to the MOTU team. In the last
> months the MOTU team has demonstrated that, apart from approving new
> members and developers, the MC does not need to approve or guide or
> oversee a lot: whatever could have been better organised in the team
> could have been done very well by individual MOTUs as opposed to
> individual MOTUs wearing their MC hat.

ArchiveReorg is becoming more and more of a reality. Teams that used to
have a separate MOTU entity are being folded into the super team (e.g.
motu-release being folded in to ubuntu-release). I think it's only
natural for the concoction of functions of the MC to migrate back
"upstream" and bring some more unity to the Ubuntu project as a whole.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Developer