Future of MOTU Council

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 22 04:08:20 GMT 2010

    The Developer Membersship Board and Technical Board have requested
that a discussion be held on the future of MOTU Council on this
mailing list (1,2).  I've mentioned some of my thoughts on this in a
recent mail to the ubuntu-motu mailing list (3), but as the discussion
has not otherwise started, I'm starting it here.

    I believe the current MOTU council to be powerless, and not
necessarily representative of the future of MOTU.  As a result, I
believe that the current incumbents should be thanked for their work
to date, and resleased from the responsibilities of the Council.
Further, I suggest that all current responsibilities of MOTU council
revert to the Community Council, Developer Membership Board, MOTU
Meeting, or Technical Board, depending on from where they were
derived.  This mailing list should be retained for preservation of
historical logs, and discussion of any future MOTU Council.

    Once MOTU has settled into the new role defintion (4), I would
hope that then then natural polity would select a MOTU Council as part
of the governance structure.  My vision would include MOTU Council
with the following responsibilities:

 * Oversee MOTU Leaders
 * Facilitate MOTU Meeting
 * Resolve MOTU disputes
 * Assist in alignment of policies and procedures with
distribution-wide practices

    Depending on the perceived performance of the Developer Membership
Board, and the demonstrated maturity of the new MOTU team, and the
selected Council, it may be appropriate to request that MOTU Council
be again delegated authority to approve new MOTU, but I don't think
this should be a primary function of the team, rather simply that I
think that such a MOTU Council would be the logical body to perform
such approvals was MOTU delegated authority to select members
independently again (which I'm unsure is a good idea until the team
has adjusted to the new role, and external perceptions of the team
match that role).

    I don't feel there is great value in discussing precisely how MOTU
Council would work, or precisely what responsibilities it may have
external to a wider discussion of MOTU identity and MOTU governance,
for which I believe the ubuntu-motu mailing list to be a more
appropriate forum.

1: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-February/000672.html
2: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-February/000673.html
3: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2010-February/006546.html