Transferring the delegation of Ubuntu Membership for development activities from the MOTU Council to the Developer Membership Board

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 9 14:04:42 GMT 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:23:18AM -0800, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Daniel Holbach  wrote:

> >> The change sounds good to me, I'm also in support of just granting the
> >> DMB admin rights for ~ubuntumembers and move current
> >> ~universe-contributors members to ~ubuntumembers instead. It looks like
> >> there's no need for a separate team.
> >>
> >> Let's get this done as soon as the new DMB is elected.
> >
> > Seems like the CC does not have the power to do this. It looks like the
> > TB needs to handle this.
>
>     This may be something to be revisited, as ~universe-contributors
> exists purely as a means of offering membership to those who seek it
> as a result of their contributions to development.  I don't think it
> needs to block the administrator change, but I do think it makes sense
> for the CC to have ultimate control over any group used solely as a
> mechanism for granting Ubuntu Membership.

Let's clarify:

Right now, the TB has *technical* permission to modify
~universe-contributors.

It appears that, right now, at least Emmet believes that the CC has
*governance* permission to modify ~universe-contributors (which I think
is on the basis of either a past delegation, a general understanding of
how the social structure ought to work, or both).

If both bodies agree, or if the CC believes that this is in fact within
their purview and the team is only administered by ~techboard due to
some kind of error, I am happy to use my Launchpad privileges as a TB
member to implement a change, but we currently appear to be deadlocked.
Let's unstick this somehow?