Cody Somerville will apply for Ubuntu Core Developer membership

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 4 17:08:06 BST 2009

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Richard JOHNSON <nixternal at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 02:01:16PM -0300, Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >  Please accept my (late) intention to apply for Ubuntu Core Developer
> > membership at tomorrow's MC meeting.
>
> I don't have any technical questions, as I do not doubt your abilities,
> seeing as we have worked together for the better part of 4 years now. So,
> with that said, I will pop you one of those annoying questions:
>
> By you becoming a core developer, how does that help the future of Ubuntu
> and the development of Ubuntu?

The easy first example would be increased throughput of sponsored patches
from the OEM team. If you're not familiar, the engineers on my team develop
customized images of Ubuntu for OEMs whom then ship the customized Ubuntu to
end users. Naturally, part of the customization process often involves
fixing bugs in Ubuntu. Unfortunately, because they're usually working on a
stable release, those fixes don't always make their way into Ubuntu very
quickly. This is a shame because the OEM team often fixes some pretty nasty
bugs that everyone could (and eventually will) benefit from.

Secondly, I believe I'll be able to help Ubuntu provide a smoother and more
natural multi-desktop environment experience. A core principle open source
advocates embrace is freedom of choice. I want Ubuntu to be an easy choice
to make regardless of desktop environment preference.

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer