Core Developer application for Marc Deslauriers

Marc Deslauriers marc.deslauriers at canonical.com
Sat Oct 31 01:48:03 GMT 2009

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 00:23 +0100, Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Hi Marc,

Hi Stefan!

> First off, sometimes it occurred to me that the entry level for -security (in
> regards to universe packages) might be smaller than for stable release
> updates. How do you make sure that a security update doesn't introduce
> regressions? How do you evaluate if a given patch fixes the security problem
> in question (especially in the case that no regression test is supplied)?

Currently, when a debdiff is contributed to packages in universe, a
security team member reviews it before pushing it as an update.
Generally, we ask the contributer what tests were performed to ensure
the update does not introduce regressions, break functionality, and to
ensure it actually fixes the issue.

The procedure is currently documented here: