reapplication for MOTU/Core-Dev

Steve Stalcup vorian at ubuntu.com
Fri May 29 04:22:51 BST 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 09:25:48 pm Emmet Hikory wrote:
>     Returning developers are encouraged to send a summary of why they
> wish to be developers again, and what plans they have for their
> near-term work.  Please send a mail to the MOTU Council list including
> those descriptions, and add yourself to the MOTU Council Meeting agenda
> for the next meeting that is convenient to you.

  You know, the Ubuntu Community is fabulous.  Having contributed a bit here
and there, I have gained an appreciation for most every aspect of the
community (even down to getting spam from Rosetta - which is pretty good
considering I only know one language)

  Like many other contributors, Ubuntu is one of my hobbies.  Developing is a
way for me to get away from things and do some real good in the world.  I
enjoy tackling the tough problems, whether it's two release updates at the
same time, show stopper bugs, server issues, learning ruby, or what ever comes
next.  For me, the things I miss are really the reason I want to be a
developer again.  I miss reviewing new packages - and seem somehow to do one
or two here and there.  I miss perusing through the sponsor queue, which I
still have bookmarked.  It was real tough today when a MOTU hopeful (and
former mentee) asked me to look at a package to sponsor, I really wanted to
help him out.

  I can do "my" stuff or KDE release updates and find sponsors pretty easily if
needed.  There's only so much satisfaction in that.  I get the most
satisfaction from helping other folks out.  Which leads to the next part of
your email, what I plan on doing in the near-term.

* I am still working on KDE release updates - I plan on continuing :)
* Helping the Kubuntu team with some of the workload they are bringing back
from UDS.
* Get into the sponsor queue again
* REVU'ing
* Not biting off more than I can chew - to avoid burning/freaking out again.

  There are other areas that still are of great interest me, but I think I'll
stick with this for now. In the time I have cooled off and taken a few steps
back, it has become very clear to me that vorian was very overextended.

  Thanks for the consideration.
--
Steve Stalcup
vorian at ubuntu.com