MC Discussion Topic: MOTU Release Team Charter

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Mar 19 21:59:32 GMT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 21:35:26 +0100 Soren Hansen <soren at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:23:34PM +0100, Luca Falavigna wrote:
>>> Motu-release and motu-uvf before it existed for years with no
>>> charter.  The only need for a schedule is based on some arbtrary
>>> feelings of some MC members.
>>>
>>> There is no legitimate basis for the MC to impose anything here.
>> I'm with Scott here. It's a fact there have been several release
>> cycles and motu-{uvf,release} teams to run without a charter, it
>> doesn't mean its members cannot do their job or they have too much
>> power to block the release. A charter could be useful if motu-release
>> members exceed their role (which is basically assist people, not
>> blocking or blaming them), but I hardly remember conflicts.
>
>a) There has been conflict.

Has been.  Is not currently, so there is nothing for the MC to resolve.

>b) It's better to have a charter *before* problems turn up so that
>there's at least *something* that we can reference.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean it needs to be THIS week.  No one is saying
having a charter is a bad idea.  My objection is to picking some arbitrary
date and insisting it must be done NOW.

>> Also, we didn't write drafts internally, but we reported our progress
>> to MOTU community. Announcements of motu-release charter drafts were
>> publicly made (IRC discussions and some mailing list posts, I can sort
>> them out if needed) and we always looked for community input.
>
>Then I don't see why it's a problem that we're opening the discussion
>now and aiming for a decision soon? Is there a particular reason to
>delay this even further?

I didn't notice where you started a community discussion?

Scott K