MC Discussion Topic: MOTU Release Team Charter

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 19 20:35:26 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:23:34PM +0100, Luca Falavigna wrote:
>> Motu-release and motu-uvf before it existed for years with no
>> charter.  The only need for a schedule is based on some arbtrary
>> feelings of some MC members.
>>
>> There is no legitimate basis for the MC to impose anything here.
> I'm with Scott here. It's a fact there have been several release
> cycles and motu-{uvf,release} teams to run without a charter, it
> doesn't mean its members cannot do their job or they have too much
> power to block the release. A charter could be useful if motu-release
> members exceed their role (which is basically assist people, not
> blocking or blaming them), but I hardly remember conflicts.

a) There has been conflict.
b) It's better to have a charter *before* problems turn up so that
there's at least *something* that we can reference.

> Also, we didn't write drafts internally, but we reported our progress
> to MOTU community. Announcements of motu-release charter drafts were
> publicly made (IRC discussions and some mailing list posts, I can sort
> them out if needed) and we always looked for community input.

Then I don't see why it's a problem that we're opening the discussion
now and aiming for a decision soon? Is there a particular reason to
delay this even further?

--
Soren Hansen                 |
Lead Virtualisation Engineer | Ubuntu Server Team