MC Discussion Topic: MOTU Release Team Charter

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 19 20:27:41 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:44:06AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> Please disregard prior email at this time due to conflicts and
>>> ongoing discussion in #ubuntu-motu right now.
>>I've read the IRC logs, and I really don't see the problem.
> >
> >The MOTU Release team was asked to come up with a schedule by March
> >18th, 1200 UTC.  That's it. Just a schedule. Not a final charter
> >proposal. A simple schedule for the proposal, discussion, and
> >ratification of the charter. Failing to do so, the MC saw no other way
> >than to simply set a schedule. I think this falls neatly under "[The
> >MOTU council] will supervise policy decisions done by the MOTU team."
> >Policy decisions were failing to be made, so the MC supervised a tiny
> >bit and set a schedule. We're not trying to impose on the contents of
> >the schedule (indeed, that is a decision for the MOTU team at large),
> >just trying to make sure that decisions are actually made.
> Motu-release and motu-uvf before it existed for years with no charter.

One of my favourite stories is about an old lady that used to live in
the same building as I. We had a problem with people just leaving their
rollators at the bottom of the stairwell, and this old lady kept arguing
that it wasn't a problem that people needed to move them around to get
up or down the stairs or to open the door all the way. The administrator
of the building tried to reason with her and said that if the fire
inspector were to stop by and saw that mess, he'd just throw it all out,
and that would be the end of it, so it was in her best interest to sort
it out somehow before then. Her response was simply: "I've lived here
for 37 years now, and there has never been a fire. Would would there be
a fire now?"

Your argument is even worse, though. It would be the equivalent of "I've
lived here for 37 years now, and we've already had a fire. Why would
there be another one?"

> The only need for a schedule is based on some arbtrary feelings of
> some MC members.
>
> There is no legitimate basis for the MC to impose anything here.

This was discussed at length more than 6 months ago. The MOTU Release
team was asked to come up with a charter themselves. They have been
gently poked a few times since then. Last Wednesday, the MOTU Release
team was given a week to come up with a schedule for the rest of the
process. You have had *plenty* of opportunity to express your feeling
that there is no need for a charter. I find it very difficult to take
objections seriously at this point.

--
Soren Hansen                 |
Lead Virtualisation Engineer | Ubuntu Server Team