Developer Application Board

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 15 15:43:33 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:18:35PM +0200, Michael Bienia wrote:
> Will there be any public announcements about applications (even if the
> following discussion will be private)? So other developers (or other
> interested parties) can sent their support or objections to one
> applicant to the board.

That's a good point and I think there ought to be.

> It's also my impression that IRC meetings doesn't seem to the best way
> to ask the applicant question about some (deep) knowlegde as there isn't
> much time to look for answers (or think about them). Waiting e.g. 5 min
> on an answer will make the meetings very long or only one applicant
> processed in one hour. But such questions can be done before a meeting
> so that the meeting only covers some last minute questions and a
> deciscion.
> But I'm also not sure if e-mail voting is the best way either. The MC
> has tried that in the past and the result was that it took weeks to
> collect all votes from the MC. And as I read in some TB meeting irc
> logs, some agenda items were postponed to the next meeting (or to
> e-mail) as not everybody had the time to read an e-mail.

That's true, but we've also had applications postponed until the next
meeting because we didn't have time to deal with them within the meeting
slot.

We ought not to block on everyone getting out of bed and reading mail. I
believe that Scott's proposal was to put a one-week time limit on the
e-mail voting period, although that does require at least a quorum to
vote within that time.