i ask you to remove that game which it calls "*ver god"

Nick Ellery nick.ellery at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 10 22:32:13 BST 2009

Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Am Friday 10 July 2009 16:07:42 schrieb Scott Kitterman:

> yes and no, if you consider the hotbabe incident (iirc, it wasn't allowed to
> enter the archive in the first place in debian though, and was later denied
> to enter the ubuntu archive due to the controversial nature. Btw.: Note that
> electricsheep (as iirc has been in the archive!) imho somewhat topped that
> controversial nature later... but was then disabled or s.th., don't recall
> the details though)
>
> P.S.: Reading this thread (an the prior discussion on -motu), I still must
> admit that I fail to see what its all about:
> a) Isn't it proper in English to capitalize titles? (native speakers, please
> enlighten me ;))

Yes, technically it should be, but I don't think that's a terribly
relevant thing to him.

> b) The term "Over God" seems to refers to the in game plot,
> reading /usr/share/doc/overgod/readme.txt.gz. What's offensive with this?

Quoting the original message:
the word "God" could only mean one thing God our creator
me as a believer find it offended to my Beliefs  coz i believe that no
one could be over my God

Evidently he sees that it is being offensive in claiming that there is
something more superior to his god.

> c) We're past DebianImportFreeze, and really should worry to get bugs down,
> not about one request of one individual to remove a package, which  he/she
> thinks to be offensive. If there'd be more who are taking offense by the
> game, there'd be a bug report with lots of comments and subscribers. (the
> only one is "no sound"!).

Right, and as others have stated, removing this would trigger attempts
to remove every other religious-related application in the archive.

--
Nick Ellery
Ubuntu MOTU Developer