Core Developer application for Michael Casadevall (NCommander/sonicmctails)

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 1 21:45:34 GMT 2009

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 08:08:56PM -0500, Michael Casadevall wrote:
> I'm writing today to apply for Core Developer status in Ubuntu.

This is truly a tricky one :)

There is no doubt in my mind that you're a very technically skilled
developer and that your areas of expertise are many and vast.

However, I do share some of the concerns raised elsewhere in this
thread. Being a generalist and being able to pick up any given project
and work on it is a very good quality (one which you very clear
possess).  However, as you point out yourself, "there is a difference
assisting in helping a project, and being a sustained contributor".
Only sustained contributors are expected to know the ins and outs of the
project, while someone assisting in helping a project can focus on
discrete tasks and have their work scrutinised by the others to see if
it fits properly into the style and goal of the project.

Ubuntu is a huge project. There are literally thousands of packages you
can work on, but that does not automatically give you the broad
perspective and an overview of Ubuntu as a whole.  You've done awesome
work on many different areas, most of which very technically
challenging. However, I'm not convinced you've obtained the broad
perspective needed for core-dev yet.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, though..

For instance, can you outline some of the ways in which porting work can
interfere with releases of Ubuntu on the officially supported
architectures?

--
Soren Hansen        |
Virtualisation Lead | Ubuntu Server Team