MOTU Application for Guillaume Martres (smarter)

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Tue Sep 23 21:02:11 BST 2008

Guillaume Martres <smarter3 at gmail.com> writes:

>> Didn't you ask yourself why the debian maintainer decided to package it
>> differently (omitting the faulty binary package)?
> I made my package before someone did one in Debian, and I don't see why I
> should be omitting files from a package.

That "someone" is Alexander Schmehl <tolimar at debian.org>, which has done
the work inside the Debian Games Team. The Debian Games Team has a
number of MOTUs as members.

> > This is certainly not the behaviour I like to see in a fellow MOTU.
> I'm sorry that you felt this way, and would have liked to discuss a bit more
> about this bug(I didn't upload it right away) but your only suggestion was to
> fill a removal request, which I'll happily do for Ubuntu 9.04, but first I'll
> try to get it removed from Debian.

Cesare does not critizise your decision, but your style of communication
with your fellow developers on this point. Could you (or someone else)
please mention the launchpad bug where this discussion did happen, so
that we can review that?

> I opened a bug in Debian BTS with my changes attached as a debdiff but never
> received an answer.

I managed to locate #483716, the bug I assume you are talking
about. That bug has a debdiff attached that is largely uncommented,
hardy readable and has a huge size of nearly 40k! How much time would it
take you to go through this hugh pile of diff and decide which hunks
shall be applied and which not?

As a member of the Debian Games Team, I ask you to improve your
contribution on this bug.

> I could have waited more but Feature Freeze was coming and some hours
> before it, persia asked me to do the merge if I wanted it to be in
> Ubuntu.  I did it since it was still better than a package completely
> different from the Debian one, and included the conflicts/replaces
> change since I wasn't sure it would be easy to add it after the
> freeze.

Freeze Preassure should not be used as an excuse to make poor decisions.
Btw, your "merge" seems till to have a diff of about 40k bytes [1]. Is
that really necessary? Do you intend to actually maintain that diff?

[1] http://patches.ubuntu.com/e/extremetuxracer/

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4