Core-Dev application for Mario Limonciello (superm1)

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 9 06:57:14 BST 2008

Hi Daniel:

Daniel Holbach wrote:
> How do you feel is the community participation in each of the areas you
> listed? Do you have any personal community-related plans for any of
> these areas?
This depends on how you define community participation.  By the
definition of submitting patches and actively working on development, a
lot of the projects I have been involved in naturally are more involved
and require a larger commitment than you will find with drive by
contributors.

That being said, I've found a fair deal of people that are willing to
learn the processes for submitting bugs and helping out to the best of
their technical abilities.  Using already shipping hardware that Ubuntu
is being enabled on for factory installation, I've found that people are
quite willing to help out.  This mostly comes from them knowing that
their system will be much better supported.

For DKMS, before I stepped into the position I am in with maintenance,
I'd found that the community around is very willing to submit patches
and work with me.  This comes with the fact that the crowd to directly
use DKMS is a more technical audience.

As for ideas for community related plans, I'd like to try to improve the
resources that people generally start looking for where to report issues
with their (supported) hardware so that my team didn't have to hunt
through forum posts, mailing list posts, and bugs filed into the wrong
area.  As has been the case with the improvements I've seen to the
Ubuntu wiki, I believe similar improvements to Dell's resources will be
very welcomed.

Regards

--
Mario Limonciello