Upload permission for Romain Francoise for 'emacs-snapshot'

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 8 21:17:34 BST 2008

Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> writes:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
>     I'm much less sure about upstream participation, where the questions get
>     harder.
>
>     If we grant upload privileges to people who are not Ubuntu developers at
>     all, what are they expected to do with them?
>
> How about commit access to the branch, without upload permission?

To what branch? And how would granting commit access to a 'special'
branch improve our workflow compared with using 'user'-specific
launchpad or alioth branch?

Romain maintains the package in a git repository on alioth. Asking him
to move to bzr is pretty much out of question here. What would probably
work is if we could somehow 'mirror' a git branch to launchpad in bzr.

Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> writes:

> Jordan Mantha wrote:
>
>     What about having a perhaps more direct and clear sponsorship
>     structure as well? [...]
>
> That's a good question - is sponsorship, if well implemented, a sufficient
> onramp for someone who is expert in Debian packaging but not yet familiar with
> Ubuntu's processes?

In general yes. In this particular case however:

 - the package is maintained in git
 - Romain updates the package in the ~ubuntu-elisp PPA
 - updates are every few weeks (it is a development snapshot after all)
 - I don't manage to sync all uploads from him in a timely fashion (the
   package is rather large, about 60MB, and Native Source Sync is not
   available yet)

Of course the main problem is me being unable to review and upload
Romains packages in a timely fashion. The main motivation for asking for
upload priviledges for Romain was to avoid this delay for the package to
reach the ubuntu archive.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4