Upload permission for Romain Francoise for 'emacs-snapshot'

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 8 17:49:55 BST 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> I'm much less sure about upstream participation, where the questions get
> harder.
>
> If we grant upload privileges to people who are not Ubuntu developers at
> all, what are they expected to do with them?
>
> How about commit access to the branch, without upload permission?

What about having a perhaps more direct and clear sponsorship
structure as well? I'm not entirely sure what we want to accomplish
necessarily with per-package uploaders. It basically seems to me that
we want to preserve the current generalists approach of MOTU and Core
Dev while still allowing for people who know what their doing to
easily work on specific packages, correct? Is the consensus that using
the current sponsorship process is not "easy" for such people?

Would assigning sponsors help? Perhaps that would be a step before
granting per-package upload rights to people who aren't existing
developers.

What about Ubuntu Universe Contributors wanting to maintain Universe
packages? They've shown contribution to Ubuntu (enough to grant Ubuntu
Membership) but they're not yet in ~ubuntu-dev. Could a
sponsorship-until-proven approach work there as well?

Overall I'm much more comfortable with somebody committing to a branch
than I am with them uploading directly.

-Jordan