Upload permission for Romain Francoise for 'emacs-snapshot'

Romain Francoise romain at orebokech.com
Fri Sep 5 09:13:02 BST 2008

Hi Reinhard, all,

Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com> writes:

> Romain, consider the case that some MOTU or member of ubuntu-core-dev
> uploads an updated version of emacs-snapshot. Could you please answer
> the following questions?

Okay, but as Mark points out what we want is to come up with a role
definition or a collaboration scheme; that goes beyond technical
questions like version numbering, etc.

That being said, on to your quiz...

>  - What version numberbering would you expect to be used?

The usual for Ubuntu changes to Debian packages, appending 'ubuntuX'
with X starting at one and using '-0ubuntuX' for a new upstream.

>  - What would you do if the uploader got it wrong?

That depends on how exactly they'd get it wrong, I guess.

>  - What is your workflow if the change is correct and you want to
>    integrate that change?

Hmm, I'm not sure what you want me to say other than I'd pick up the
patch and merge it in the next version, mentioning the LP bug in the
changelog if there's one.

As I'm sure you realize, emacs-snapshot is a rather unusual package
because it gets a new upstream version every week, and the packaging
changes very little (if at all) between versions.

>  - What would you do if you disagreed with the change?

Send the black helicopters. :)

Or initiate a discussion with the involved parties, perhaps.

> Moreover, I noticed that you are aware how you can close launchpad bugs
> via changelogs, as done with your upload '1:20080106-1' to close LP:
> #162932.  How often do you check launchpad bugs?

I'm subscribed to emacs-snapshot's bugmail in Launchpad, so I get
them as they're filed.  I'm also a member of the ubuntu-elisp team,
so I get bugmail for emacs22 and a bunch of other Emacs-related
packages.