motu-release will revert libgems-ruby to the old state.

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 2 04:08:02 BST 2008

Mathias Gug wrote:
> I'd like to appeal against motu-release decision to revert the
> libgem-ruby upload 1.3.0~RC1really1.2.0-2ubuntu2 based on the following
> reasons:

    In line with current practices by MOTU Council for any disputes
raised, I've communicated with the disputant directly to understand
the nature of the dispute and the claims, as well as having
communicated with a couple members of MOTU Release about this issue
previously.

    From my discussion with Mathias, this decision of MOTU Release is
disputed on technical grounds, as is being discussed on the
ubuntu-motu and ubuntu-devel mailing lists, and Mathias is in
agreement that MOTU Release has the authority to supercede uploads
that may be considered inappropriate for a release.

    Based on the essential agreement on the process, and the existing
technical discussions towards reaching a solution that meets the
identified user need (including the explicit offer of the granting of
a Freeze Exception to address this by a member of MOTU Release), I do
not believe that further intervention is required by MOTU Council.  If
the current discussions are unable to reach conclusion mutually
agreeable to both Mathias and MOTU Release, please bring this issue
back to MOTU Council for an explicit declaration of the solution to be
chosen.  This should only be used as a last recourse: whlie MOTU
Council may be granted the authority to make this decision, it is best
resolved by those individually familiar with the package.

    Separately, I would like to personally encourage all developers to
adhere to upstream naming conventions, avoiding labels like that seen
in the disputed upload, and request to MOTU Release to consider the
option of a longer discussion period prior to superceding an upload
except in cases where such a delay may adversely impact some specific
release milestone.

--
Emmet HIKORY