Universe Contributors Application for Charlie Smotherman (porthose)

Charliej cjsmo at cableone.net
Thu Oct 23 18:35:48 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

My name is Charlie Smotherman (porthose) and this is my application to
become a Ubuntu Universe Contributor.

I currently maintain Ampache and Ampache-themes in Debian, and I am
seeking a sponsor for QuickPlay, which is currently up on
mentors.debian.net and REVU.

I have done some minor development work on Ubuntu during the Hardy
cycle, but have become more active in the Intrepid cycle.  During Hardy
my main focus was to get Ampache and Ampache-themes included into Debian
so they could be sync'd over to Ubuntu, with this I have become familiar
with Debian and Ubuntu processes.  Some of the Ubuntu processes that I
am familiar with are: bug triaging, bug fixes, FFe's, getting debian RC
bug fixes into Ubuntu, package updates, new package creation, REVU
comments (27) and REVU package building/testing.  For Jaunty my plans
are to become more involved in merges and assisting with bugs.

I have been helping out on REVU by letting RainCT know when packages
need to be archived as I run across them.  For my efforts RainCT has
assigned me REVU moderator privileges, which allows me to archive
packages as needed, to help keep REVU nice and clean.

I am also a member of the MOTU Mentoring Reception Team.  I assist the
team by taking in contributor applications, process them, and correspond
with MOTU's to pair MOTU mentor's and mentee's in the Junior and Senior
Mentoring programs.  This has afforded me the opportunity to correspond
with MOTU's that I would not have otherwise correspond with.

My Wiki page [1] and my Launchpad page [2] lists the contributions I
have made to Ubuntu.

I would like to thank everyone that has taken the time to sponsor my
work so far:

- Daniel Holbach  (dholbach)
- James Westby  (james_w)
- Siegfried Gevatter  (RainCT)