MOTU application for Michael Casadevall (NCommander/sonicmctails)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Oct 22 21:44:44 BST 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 11:06, Michael Casadevall wrote:

> > Do you think there is anything concrete you can change about the way
> > you work to avoid silly mistakes? We all make mistakes, I've made
> > several since becoming a MOTU. Do you feel you know when to ask for
> > advice if you are a little out of your depth? Do you try and adapt
> > your workflows to eliminate classes of mistake?
>
> Generally speaking, I do test instability and upgrade of packages, and
> I do test bugs following reproducibly instructions especially when
> dealing with things such as soname bumps and backports. Mistakes do
> happen, and I'll admit I have my share on them, but I like my think my
> mistake/overall upload ratio is relatively low. I do ask for help when
> I feel I need it, as Emmet can attest to when giving me a crash course
> in writing documentation, or Cody when I asked him to sanity check my
> changes to xubuntu-docs's source package, as well as sanity checks on
> my changes to the linux-lpia and linux-lpia-meta packages. It should
> also be made clear that if I do make a mistake and it is later caught,
> I always correct it; I don't leave my mistakes for others to go and
> fix later.

I've lost track of how many FTBFS fixes and the like I've uploaded for
Michael.  Initially I did see some impulsiveness that resulted in more error
than I would be comfortable with in a MOTU, but he always followed up on
fixing his mistakes and it's definitely improved over time.  I do think he's
ready for MOTU in this regard.

I've also seen him ask for advice when he felt he needed it.

Scott K