MOTU application for Michael Casadevall (NCommander/sonicmctails)

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Oct 21 23:49:13 BST 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:47:50 -0400 "Michael Casadevall"
<sonicmctails at gmail.com> wrote:
>To the MOTU council:
>
>Wiki Page: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichaelCasadevall
>LP Profile: http://launchpad.net/~sonicmctails
>Primary Sponsors: Scott Kitterman, Steven Kowailk, Sebastien Bacher,
>Jon Riddell, John Dong (Backports),  Luca Falavigna (SRU/MOTU)
>Primary Team Memberships: Xubuntu (Developer), Kubuntu (Developer),
>Backports (Tester), SRU (PowerPC tester), Ports (PowerPC)
>
>I'm writing today apply for MOTU status in Ubuntu. I've been highly
>active during the intrepid release cycle, working to help resolve and
>fix many bugs, as well as build stronger ties with Debian by merging
>patches from Ubuntu when appropriate. I have been urged by my sponsors
>to apply for some time, and finally worked up the nerve to face the
>possibility of rejection.

Definite plus one from me.  In a very short time Michael has integrated
himself very well into the community and made some significant
contributions.  I have no doubt he'll be a good MOTU.

His application has a lot of good work and experience listed, but I think
understates his case.  He recently completed Debian NM and his AM recently
reported favorably on him.

He developed a patch for Samba 4 to work around a kernel bug that made it
possible for me to get Openchange into Intrepid.  This package was a
significant focus of Server Team discussion at UDS and I don't think we'd
have gotten it in without Michael's work.

In addition to figuring out how to fix the svn 1.5 backport, he's ground
through the entire backlog of backports requests more than once and tested
to see which were ready unmodified and developing debdiffs for those that
needed change.  Once he gets MOTU, I hope he joins ubuntu-backporters.

He also managed to acquire access to an HPPA box from HP when I asked for
(and got) help with solving some HPPA FTBFS.

Scott K