MOTU Application for Stefan Ebner (sebner)

Stefan Ebner sebner at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 10 10:25:35 GMT 2008

> If you're going to file manual sync requests for everything, leaving the auto
> sync on another month would just be easier for everyone.  I'm not saying it
> should or shouldn't be moved.  I'd like to see you make the case for moving
> it.

If there were a survey I would support this to move it over for another month
but it's also clear to me that this is (maybe) a step away from stability.
Besides, I'm not mighty so I can't replace the Auto-sync and furthermore
I testbuild and review stuff before requesting a sync so that also seems more save
to me than running Auto-sync (that sync every new version from every application).
So this perhaps *is* the compromise I talked about in my application.

Now you may ask yourself:"WTH, is he now for or against it?".
As I said, this is something I would support and like *but* I also
won't die if it doesn't get approved. I can live with that without problems
and as long as no one blocks/forces me to stop, my work I'm fine with it.

> I'm not trying to tell you to stop contributing to Ubuntu and I'm sorry you
> took it that way.  It does seem to me that you are very aggressive about
> asking for syncs (not saying you're wrong, that's just my perspective - I may
> be to conservative).  I'm trying to understand the factors you consider in
> deciding whether or not to ask for a sync.

> What is one sync in Intrepid you asked for that you regret?

> What is one sync in Intrepid that you didn't ask for that you regret?

> Scott K

To your 1 question: When?
When the archive opens it's clear that I sync stuff that were merges before.
In the middle I personally sync everything as I already told.
Around and after FeatureFreeze you will find nearly only sync requests that fix stuff from RC-bug list.

To reply to your text and the 2nd question:
I'm also sorry that it seems that I'm too aggressive. I may be a little bit but
not totally. Also I'm sorry that I use the word "everything" that often and not correct.
Everything doesn't mean everything. Everything means "everything that is worth it".

I will never file a sync request after DIF when the only change is:
* Fixed typo in debian/*.README

or stuff like that. It's really not worth it so I won't do it and I haven't done it in inrepid cycle.
This is something new contributors should look at when they learn the procress of syncing.