MC Call Minutes, Mar 19th

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Mar 27 11:55:41 GMT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008 06:43, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Scott Kitterman schrieb:
> > On Saturday 22 March 2008 02:20:02 Richard A. Johnson wrote:
> >> On Saturday 22 March 2008, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Canceling an account in this case proved it wouldn't hold any value
> >> since he went ahead and created a new account anyways. At least with
> >> spam filters, they stop a great majority, revoking an account only stops
> >> a person long enough to create a new one.
> >
> > When you say ...one of these days something could be done about LP... I
> > take it you (meaning someone on the MC) asked about this and were told
> > no?
>
> Yes, I talked to Launchpad Developers about it back then and was told
> that it's a community problem and that Launchpad data surgery would not
> help to solve the problem.
>
> A bug about the ability to flag entries (comments, products, branches,
> etc.) as inappropriate was mentioned in the conversation:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/45419

Right, that's about post facto cleanup.  My suggestion is about prior
restraint.  Also that bug is still about spam and would put the decision
about changes in the hands of Launchpad developers who are not Ubuntu people.
I think it's rather orthogonal to the problem at hand.

When the original problem came up, as I recall, Hobbsee went to Launchpad
people and told them someone was flooding the sponsor's queue, please make it
stop.  At the time she was told she didn't have standing to make a request to
have an account suspended and to get Ubuntu to make a request.

Now it appears that their position is that no one has standing to make such a
request.  They are right that fundamentally this is a community problem, but
without tools to manage it, it's hopeless.

Scott K