MOTU application for Scott Ritchie (third)

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Mar 20 23:11:57 GMT 2008

Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Scott Ritchie schrieb:
>> If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.
>
> I still remember the discussions about letting the Ubuntu wine package
> divert from the Debian wine package ages ago. Do you have any contact
> with other wine package maintainers? Do you check if there are any
> changes worth merging? Maybe some would be relevant for Hardy release?
>
> Have a nice day,
>  Daniel

I subscribe to the Debian bug list for their Wine package, and Ove (the
maintainer) occasionally shows up on WineHQ's bugzilla as well.

Most of the Debian changes are fairly Debian specific - they have a
different version of ia32-libs, for instance, so they can't use all of
the links we provide.  The Debian packages also differ in substantial
usability ways (other than .desktop files) - for instance they use the
old winelauncher program rather than just directly invoking packages
with Wine.

The winelauncher program pops up a window saying that "Wine is now
running your application" - or, if you just run wine, that "You have
invoked Wine without an argument."  It's something I disagree with,
largely because the question of "how do I run Wine" is answered better
by the applications menu entry.  The winelauncher program doesn't really
add any usability, since the user doesn't really need to know that Wine
in particular is running their application; moreover, it looks pretty
intimidating.

Other things (eg a workaround for the same fontforge regression) have
been included within Ubuntu Wine.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie