In an attempt to make some things right...

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:22:40 GMT 2008

Sarah Hobbs wrote:
>  After i banned Marco (kmos) from #ubuntu-motu, #ubuntu-devel, and
>  #ubuntu-bugs, there was excessive channel noise, and I received many
>  emails, including from people high in authority, about how this was not
>  to be done, that MOTU is not anarchy, and that the channel decisions
>  should be made by the relevant Councils.  If it was considered that they
>  had not done so in a reasonable length of time, I (and we) were asked to
>  take evidence of it to Jono Bacon, and he would review it justly.  This
>  offer still stands.
>
>  Consequently, I've undone these bans.  If the MOTU council wishes to
>  reinstate these bans, they will need to send public, written, non-irc
>  communication requesting what type of bans they would like, and in what
>  channels.

    The MOTU Council position is that MOTU Council does not have
jurisdiction or control over IRC (although support for MC statements
by members of the IRC team are appreciated).  As such, the MOTU
Council will not be taking any action towards or against the bans
described.

    Any bans on Ubuntu channels are properly the responsibility of the
IRC operators for the channels concerned, and such IRC operators are
beholden to the IRC Council for their bans (or so I believe: I welcome
correction from the IRC Council).

    The described channel bans for #ubuntu-motu and #ubuntu-devel have
been reinstated by another IRC operator: if this is a matter for
dispute, please raise through the IRC dispute resolution processes.

--
Emmet HIKORY