MC Call Minutes, Mar 19th

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at
Wed Mar 19 23:31:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:12:40 +0000 Mark Shuttleworth <mark at>
>Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>It already is. The proposal is for the MC to grant Ubuntu membership if
the candidate has done a significant Ubuntu work but isn't prepared for
MOTUship yet. But for approving them into ~ubuntumembers, MC would need to
be an admin of that team.
> I far prefer indirect membership by mem bership in a specific team which
recognises the basis of your contribution. Say we have a well-governed
doc-team, and we make that a sub-team of ubuntumembers. Then, if you are a
participant in the doc team, you are a member. That makes sense to me.
>The alternative, having people BOTH in MOTU *and* in ubuntumembers, is
just a recipe for loose ends. So I would rather that there are teams which
are well run which recognise a significant and sustained contribution in
some or other domain - and that membership in those teams confers Ubuntu

This is all clearly true but I think orthogonal to the question at hand.
Once someone is a MOTU they clearly should be a member and indirect
membership is sufficient.

There is, however, a class of people who are clearly committed to Ubuntu,
have accepted our values (CoC), and have made a significant and sustained
contribution, but who are not yet ready to have de facto root access to my
systems (upload rights).  I think membership in advance of MOTU makes sense
for such people and it makes sense for the MC to be able to grant it.

Scott K