core-dev application for Scott Kitterman

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Wed Jan 16 06:30:00 GMT 2008

I would like to apply to be a core-dev.  I've updated my wikie page at:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScottKitterman

There are three areas of work that I am interested in if I am accepted:

1.  Server packages:

I'm in the process of getting amavisd-new accepted into Main (it's part of the
ubuntu-server package review spec).  So far I've gotten 8 Perl modules
accepted into Main and am waiting for feedback on amavisd-new.  I'd like to
be able to maintain these packages in good shape.

I've also helped some with Postfix maintenance and am interested in continuing
with that and related packages.  I would like to work to build the capability
of ubuntu-server as a first rate distribution for mail servers.

2.  Kubuntu KDE3 packages:

Unlike many (most) Kubuntu developers, I intend to continue to use KDE3 for
quite some time (until KDE4 reaches feature parity and is stable for what I
need KDE for).  I expect as Kubuntu development gets increasingly focused on
KDE4, it will be useful to have a core-dev focused on KDE3 maintenance.

So far I've contributed some small changed to kdepim in Main and done some
work with KDE packages in Universe (most notably Klamav).

3.  Backports:

I've been involved in ubuntu-backporters for some time.  As Dapper ages, it is
increasingly common for any backports to require a source backport.  While
source backports should be limited, I would like to be able to deal with them
as they arise (an example is that since Postfix has transistions to libdb4.6,
and Dapper backport would need to be a source backport).

I believe that I can help keep the inservice releases interesting and fresh
without compromising quality.  This is important to encourage users to work
within the Ubuntu repositories and not move to 3rd party sources of unknown
and uneven quality.

I've had an increasing number of Main uploads over time.  My sponsors have
included hobbsee, laserjock, lamont, and (I think) cjwatson.  I've discusse
my application with hobbsee, laserjock, and lamont.  They are cc'ed on this
message.

In addition to packaging, I've been involved in Main Inclusion Reports, some
seed management discussions (I've never actually modified a seed myself), and
worked on removals.  In Gutsy I got rid of slypheed-claws (we still have
claws-mail for gtk2) and gpgme myself and got rid of openssl097 with some
help from others.  I've been to one UDS and have been invovled in the spec
process for two releases now.  As a member of motu-uvf, I worked very closely
with the release managers for Gutsy.

I believe that I have a good understanding of most of Ubuntu's processes and
could be immediately productive as a core-developer.  I also believe I have a
good track record for not making to many mistakes and an excellent record for
cleaning up after them.  I am not afraid to ask questions and do research
before jumping into something I don't understand.

Additionally, as you will see from my package report, I am maintaining a
number of pakcages in Debian now.  I have started the Debian New Maintainer
process and intend to become a Debian Developer.  I have and will continue to
work towards close technical and social connections between Debian and
Ubuntu.

Thank you for your consideration,

Scott K