MOTU application for Matvey Kozhev (Sikon)

Sikon inetperson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:39:20 GMT 2008

Dear MOTUs,

I have been involved with Ubuntu development 2007-06-04, when I joined the
Ubuntu contributors team.

I have contributed two new packages to Ubuntu via REVU: videotrans and
inkblot, both of which I currently maintain. A third package
(smplayer-themes) is underway. The videotrans package has been since then
included into the debian-multimedia.org repository by Christian Marillat.

Here is my Launchpad packages page: https://launchpad.net/~sikon/+packages

Apart from new packages, there are some other contributions that I consider
significant:
- In Gutsy, added patches to solve an FTBFS in ktoon that had been present
since Feisty. They have since been merged into Debian, albeit without my
involvement.
- Merged psi 0.11 into Hardy, and after that, cooperated with the Debian
maintainer to completely eliminate the divergence between Debian and Ubuntu.
- Got freecol from Debian into Ubuntu, along with two dependent libraries, by
advocating changes to the Debian maintainer necessary to build them under
Ubuntu.
- Upgraded smplayer to a new upstream release, making it lintian-clean and
closing all Ubuntu bugs in the process (and continuing to do so with
subsequent releases). As of now, smplayer in Ubuntu contains 0 bugs.
- Merged new upstream releases of qdvdauthor and avidemux from
debian-multimedia.org, at the same time advocating Ubuntu changes back to
Marillat (quite successfully). Also, for avidemux, successfully pushed a
patch for an Ubuntu build issue upstream prior to the release of 2.4 preview
3.

There is also f-spot 0.4.1-1, for which I tested unreleased Debian versions
and reported issues and patches prior to filing a sync request and MIRs for
dependent libraries. This, however, is in main so not directly relevant.

I'm seeking MOTUship to more effectively maintain my packages, without bugging
sponsors for every change no matter how minor, as well as to avoid "I am not
a MOTU" disclaimers when giving advice on #ubuntu-motu.

I am CCing this message to those who had sponsored my packages at various
times:

Emmet Hikory
Daniel Holbach
Cesare Tirabassi
Luke Yelavich
William Grant
John Dong

There may be others I have missed, since I do not remember who reviewed
videotrans and the old REVU is lost.

I should add that I found Ubuntu developers, MOTU and core developers alike,
amazingly responsive and helpful. Special thanks go to Emmet "persia" Hikory
for his advice to me and other people on #ubuntu-motu and for being so active
on REVU.