MOTU application for Jonathan Thomas (JontheEchidna)

Richard Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Fri Dec 19 03:02:17 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 07:55:15PM -0500, Jonathan wrote:
> Dear MOTU Council,
>
> Please accept this as my application for MOTU status in Ubuntu.
>
>   * My Launchpad: https://edge.launchpad.net/~echidnaman
>   * My Wiki Page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jonathan265
>
> My involvement with Kubuntu started shortly before Hardy was released. I was
> testing the beta or release candidate of Kubuntu Hardy Heron, the KDE4
> edition, when I noticed some implementation details I didn't like. I found
> #kubuntu-kde4 on IRC and voiced my opinions. The kind people in #kubuntu-kde4
> then invited me to join #kubuntu-devel to make sure my concerns got heard.
> After that, I sorta hung around until I started getting more and more
> involved. In July I became a (K)Ubuntu member. Nowadays I am very active in a
> lot of aspects of Kubuntu, and would like to become an MOTU.

[...]
>   - Richard Johnson (nixternal, the pointy-click vista lover)

Hobbsee is a bad influence obviously :)

I have had the opportunity to watch Jon grow and shine in the Kubuntu
community. He has done a lot to help that great team during a time where
I was super busy with personal life. I am proud to see him step up in a
time that Kubuntu really needed the extra hand. To the MC, please see
this as my comment on Jon's history and not my vote at this time. My
vote will come shortly after seeing far more feedback and the answering
of some questions.

Some questions I have are:

 - Seeing as you are doing KDE packaging, and the majority of KDE being
   in Main, how much help do you see yourself doing in the Universe and
   Multiverse repositories for Kubuntu/KDE?

 - In reference to the previous question, would you be willing to work
   in other areas of the Universe and Multiverse repositories not
   related to Kubuntu/KDE packaging?

 - What is your opinion on Kubuntu/KDE packaging requiring Quilt in the
   depends when there are no patches for a package?

 - If there was one bug you really wanted to fix, besides that pesky bug
   #1, which bug would it be and why?

 - Are there any sub-teams in the MOTU community that you would be
   interested in helping, and if so, which one(s) and why?

 - Could you provide 2 examples of how you think the MOTU community,
   including the Council, could better themselves?

 - What is the real reason you like Kubuntu? Provide examples.

 - Why weren't you at UDS Jaunty?

Hopefully that isn't to many questions to answer. These are probably
simple compared to the possible onslaught you could receive from others
in the MOTU community.

Thanks Jon for applying to become a MOTU. I look forward to your answers
and wish you the best of luck in this process. If at any time you have
any questions and/or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me via
email or ping me on IRC. Good luck!

--
Rich Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org