Considering component-specific work when reviewing applications

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 16:44:34 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008, either Michael Bienia or Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> Perhaps it was not so well communicated in the past else there wouldn't
> be the confusion leading to that mail. At that time I thought that one
> had to be a MOTU before one could apply for core-dev.

According to the diagram shown here:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers
there is a "dotted line" between a Prospective Developer and a "Core
Developer", and a note that this an exceptional case.  The more common
case is for MOTU to apply for Core Developer recognition.  In fact,
that page states that "Core Developers are often recruited among the
MOTUs".

That page also goes on to describe the process by which one applies
for Core Developer membership, which involves going through the MOTU
Council and asking for them to present the individual and application
to the Tech Board for consideration as a Core Developer.

That page certainly makes it seem that to either become a MOTU or a
Core Developer, one needs to seek and attain the approval of the MOTU
Council.

:-Dustin