MOTU Applications from Server Team [Was Re: MOTU Application for kirkland [Was Re: Universe Contributors application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)]]

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 15 18:03:44 BST 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> It is my impression (and it's just an impression) that people who are not
> active on #ubuntu-motu, but are active in Universe relative to their area of
> interest are not treated equally.

I think that's a fairly accurate impression. Since #ubuntu-motu is the
primary communication tool for MOTU, if somebody is not active there
one might wonder why they are applying for MOTUship.

> I've seen several applications from people who are heavily involved in Gnome
> desktop packaging and they seem to get +1 from a few desktop oriented people
> and we move on, no questions asked.  It seems to me that for Server Team,
> this is not the case.

Somewhat. Overall there seems to be a lot "+1 \o/" emails which, IMO,
is both a good and bad thing. It's great that these applicant's
sponsors like their work, but as somebody who doesn't sit on IRC all
day in #ubuntu-motu anymore, I'd love to see more discussion. *But*,
it's up to each one of us to ask questions that we care about.

> I think this has gone from one extreme (maybe not enough questions - I do
> think most of this discussion is good) to another.

In terms of Dustin's application I think it's turning out pretty well.
I think it'll take more applications to see if we're in balance or
have swung too ware on the pendulum.

> I guess I'll have to start asking more questions about desktop people who I
> have no idea who they are.

Please do! I'm also going to start making a point of asking questions
that pop up in my head as I'm reading applications instead of just
moving along in my mail queue :-) I think it's important to remember
that this is our team and it's our prerogative/obligation to keep it
healthy. Let's keep MOTU rockin'

-Jordan