MOTU Application for kirkland [Was Re: Universe Contributors application for Dustin Kirkland (kirkland)]

Dustin Kirkland dustin.kirkland at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 20:29:10 BST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> == The following is a package that I uploaded to Universe, but
>> Launchpad's package page has dropped ==
>>  * ltp - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltp
>
> That's because Kees and then me uploaded it again (me to fix a packaging
> problem as reported in bug 92944 and 256760).
> There still appear to be a number of packaging problems, so, you may want to
> look at it again.
> The package is also rather outdated, but that's because of its nature.

Prior to my merging the package, it was stuck at a release from 20060918.
 * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltp/20080229-0ubuntu1

Since the Debian maintainers orphaned the package, I painstakingly,
merged directly from upstream to the latest release at that time
(20080229).  That's a 1.5 year improvement, and a ton of new tests and
bug fixes.  Many thanks to Kees Cook who mentored me through that
merge.

As a measure of good-Debian-citizenship, I offered the Ubuntu package
as a base for updating the orphaned package in Debian, and proposed
maintainership:
 * http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=470091

However, the discussion turned political, as to whether or not the
upstream project LTP was any good, and I decided to politely bow out.

:-Dustin