MOTU Application for kirkland

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at canonical.com
Wed Aug 6 22:16:43 BST 2008

On Wed Aug 6 15:28:11 BST 2008, Emmet Hickory wrote:
> Just to make sure you've caught up on the relevant documentation,
> could you share your thoughts on the activities of the various people
> and teams described by https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers and
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Leaders?

Hi Emmet-

I reviewed both of these wiki pages.

I was familiar with the UbuntuDevelopers page, as I had read it several
times over the past few months, in preparation for my Ubuntu Member
application, and now this MOTU application.  I edited this page in the
process of my application, clarifying the difference in the subject
line, per my confusion in this thread:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers?action=diff&rev2=42&rev1=41

I absolutely aspire to become an Ubuntu Core Developer one day, and I
intend to establish myself as a trusted and active MOTU along the way.
Although most of my daily work involves packages in main, I will
continue to improve the packaging and code of server universe packages
in the interest of promotion of some of them to main.  Please see the
work I did on the ecryptfs-utils and opencryptoki packages.  I worked
significant patches upstream, through Debian, back into Ubuntu, in the
interest of receiving approval for their MIRs.
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionReportEcryptfsUtils
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MainInclusionOpencryptoki

Regarding the MOTU Leadership page...

I think MOTU School is incredibly important, and a truly unique aspect
of this community.  I attended several sessions on packaging in February
2008, which really jump-started my entry into Ubuntu development.  I'm
certainly happy to assist with MOTU school and help others get started.

I have used REVU for the promotion of new packages into Ubuntu,
previously "ubuntu-virt", and currently "musica".  It's a very useful
tool.  (I'd love to receive mail when people comment on my packages,
though.)
  * http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=ubuntu-virt
  * http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/details.py?package=musica

It's nice to have the liasons, as interoperability and communications
with other parts of the community is clearly important.

I will say that I've subscribed the ubuntu-universe-sponsors queue to
scores of bugs with my patches, looking for sponsorship.  I don't think
I have ever actually acheived a sponsored upload in this manner.  I
continue to do this for the formality, but pinging someone in IRC is the
only manner in which I personally have solicited sponsors.

Thanks,

:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Server Developer