Core-Dev Application: Till Kamppeter

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Apr 2 17:35:51 BST 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 18:12:07 Martin Pitt wrote:
> Stefan Potyra [2008-04-02 15:13 +0200]:
> > However, you describe pretty standard packaging issues as "difficult
> > packaging task". I fail to see what's difficult with these packages and
> > have serious doubts about your packaging skills.
>
> FWIW, the current packages might be easier (since they are now based
> on Brother upstream's .debs; I don't know off-hand how they currently
> look like), but the original ones (based on Brother's tarballs) where
> a hell of a beast.

Actually, I have been looking out for these tarballs, but I find only .rpm
and .deb files on the upstream page [1]. (This is straight from
debian/copyright of brother-lpr-drivers-bh7_1.0.0-9-0ubuntu1).

> Frankly, there were so many problems with them
> (doing binary patching to get rid of /usr/local, linker problems,
> fixing paths, permissions, etc.) that I estimate that the vast
> majority current MOTUs would have had the same difficulties and
> questions.

The original mail didn't state anything about binary patching or linker
problems, and the different source packages I've looked at (by far not every
one) pretty much look like me to only copy (later extract and copy) file from
A to B, eventually changing the permissions. Hence my assumption of basic
packaging skills. What's the package wich does binary patching, as I'm
personally interested how it's done.

Cheers,
    Stefan.
--