hurry before FFe

Stefan Potyra stefan.potyra at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Wed Apr 2 14:18:06 BST 2008

Hi,

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 13:58:28 Soren Hansen wrote:
[..]

> Hmm.. I should probably elaborate a bit: I'm not saying that uploading
> broken stuff just to get in before FF is by definition fine because
> other people have done it before. I'm just saying that it has happened
> before, and I can imagine what makes people do it.
>
> What should we do about it, though?

That's a good question indeed. First of all, I guess such uploads are even
very bad to spot in the first place.

I guess one measure is a gradual freeze policy, which starts out with a very
soft layer of thin ice at the beginning, and gets to an unbreakable barrier
at the end of the freeze. (I tried to apply this measure for this cycle, with
almost waiving through new packages at the beginning). Of course such a
policy must also be made well known (which didn't happen this cycle yet,
sorry for this).

This could be combined with poking people uploading bad stuff with a very
pointy stick. But of course the difficulty there is finding such uploads in
the first place.

Maybe someone else has other good ideas?

Cheers,
    Stefan.