Core-Dev Application: Till Kamppeter

Sarah Hobbs hobbsee at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 2 13:46:16 BST 2008

Soren Hansen wrote:
>> Ok, so by this logic, I assume you will again upload broken packages,
>> if a freeze is imminent?
>
> We advertise Feature Freeze as a rather hard deadline for getting new
> packages into the archive. People rushing to upload stuff moments before
> FF kicks in is not an uncommon phenomenon. There's a reason we don't
> release right after feature freeze :)  I happen to know that it's
> usually not particularly difficult to get an FF exception approved
> shortly after FF, but for someone who's never done that, it might appear
> differently.

I have to say that I have my doubts about this one, for a few reasons
that I can't put into words right now.

However, i'd like to express concern about this logic - if a person
chooses to upload known-broken packages into the archive, rather than
filing a FFe, because he's never done one before, then is that person
really suitable for core dev, in current status?

Perhaps Till should wait, file a few FFe's, and deal with the
non-Canonical community a bit more, so that the non-Canonical community
(as well as the Canonical community) is sure that he has the sufficient
skills (in areas which are not just packaging).

I think that Till is a very useful contributor of Ubuntu, in the area of
printing, but I do think he should wait a while until he receives core
dev powers, for the above reason.