Fwd: MOTU Application

Travis Watkins amaranth at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 7 20:37:26 BST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Travis Watkins <amaranth at ubuntu.com>
Date: Sep 7, 2007 2:30 PM
Subject: Re: MOTU Application
To: Stefan Potyra <sistpoty at ubuntu.com>

On 9/7/07, Stefan Potyra <sistpoty at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Travis,
>
> Am Freitag 07 September 2007 03:23:06 schrieben Sie:
> > On 9/6/07, Stefan Potyra <sistpoty at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Travis,
> > >

> > > Well, bling related packages usually get a huge number of bug reports,
> > > many which are not that easy to deal with. Hence I'm interested in what
> > > good ideas you have to handle these amounts of bugs.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >    Stefan.
> >
> > Well, the ones I'm talking about are ones where I could fix said bugs
> > and/or get upstream to fix rather quickly.
>
> Ok, having an active and responsive upstream and is certainly a good thing!
>
> However I'm still curious how you manage the big amount of bugs. Looking at
> compiz listed on your uploads page, there are 199 open ubuntu bugs filed
> against it, and I bet this number increased since I last looked at it when
> writing the initial response. Imagining that I'd have to triage/sort
> out/forward a that big number of bugs, I'd definitely would say that I
> couldn't handle this. What's your recipe for this?
>
> Cheers,
>     Stefan.

There have been over 800 bugs filed against compiz in its history so
200 (that's where it is now) is not that bad and I can probably get it
down to 150 or lower with a little triage. I tend to deal with easy
bugs as they come in then about once a month spend a few hours doing
massive bug triage. Sometimes I get further along than others, depends
on whether or not I get stuck on a hard one or get pulled away to do
something else.

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com