Request for getting a Ubuntu Developer [Till Kamppeter]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 29 07:31:05 GMT 2007

Hello,

Daniel Holbach [2007-11-28 14:48 +0100]:
> On Di, 2007-11-27 at 22:44 +0000, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > I am Till Kamppeter, manager of the OpenPrinting project at the Linux
> > Foundation. I am also contracted by Canonical to do work on
> > printing-related packages.
> CCing Matthias Klose and Martin Pitt who did the bulk of sponsoring for
> him. Matthias and Martin: can you please send your feedback to this
> list?

Till is a very skilled upstream developer, and has worked on printing
integration into various distributions for many years.
Over the last two years he slowly but steadily lerned a lot about
Debian/Ubuntu packaging and workflows. In the last couple of months
all the 'easy' sponsored packages were good, and there were only small
problems (like using a wrong -v debuild option on merges) for the more
complicated ones. He already created some new packages from scratch
(like cupsddk) which pretty good and only took one round of minor
adjustments.

He now knows our release process in principle, but still needs to
learn a bit about which kinds of changes are appropriate at which
stages of the freeze. However, he often asks for advice for
non-obvious situations, and I think he will just do that more often
once he knows that I won't regularly check his uploads any more.

So far we have not really put a lot of effort of actively training
Till about issues which are relevant for core-devs. We should really
start doing so now.

ready for it. I also want to encourage him to become a core-dev; if he
agrees to consult other core devs before doing non-obvious changes,
and we give him some more training, he will be ready for it very soon,
too.

Thanks,

Martin

--