Request for getting a Ubuntu Developer

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 28 14:01:45 GMT 2007

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:34:23PM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> On Mi, 2007-11-28 at 20:29 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> >     I don't have voice towards your application for developer status,
> > but I do not see any mention that  core developers must first be MOTU
> > in the process documentation (1).  I suspect that most candidates
> > would find the path easier when first applying for MOTU, but this does
> > not appear to be required.
> >
> > 1: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers#JoiningCoreDev
>
> It always was a requirement. If it's not clear in the documentation it
> needs to be codified.
>
> CCing the TB.

I'm afraid I can't agree; I've repeatedly told community applicants that
it's OK to apply for core-dev straight away if they are qualified.  For
example, this opportunity should be open to experienced Debian developers,
who by virtue of their involvement with Debian, already have most of the
knowledge and skills needed to work on Ubuntu and deserve to be
fast-tracked.

This should only be for exceptional cases, though.  In general, it makes
more sense to apply for MOTU first.

--
 - mdz