IRC presence requirements

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 16 07:18:22 GMT 2007

On Fr, 2007-11-16 at 11:21 +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
>     Separately, I do agree that there are a number of very valuable
> contributors who work with us via email, bug reports, and blog
> postings, and I'd not like to see their contributions belittled: I'm
> just not sure that unrestricted upload is appropriate for these
> parties: the sponsoring queues exist in part to ensure that there is
> appropriate coordination, and by maintaining IRC presence, sponsors
> are often able to share the results of such communication with
> disconnected contributors.

I agree with people in the post explaining the advantages of IRC
presence as follows:

      * quicker organisation and coordination
      * "face to face" time
      * easier to stay on top of things

Having said that, I wouldn't like us to have a policy-like document or
anything coming near that.

We have contributors who contribute via bug reports or REVU, who follow
up on the mailing list and write personal emails, I disagree that you
can only get a feeling for an applicant if you talk to them on IRC - it
might take longer, but personal email plus reviewing packages should
work just as well.

More generally, the more independent we are from IRC (Wiki
documentation, mailing list discussion, bug centric work approach,
etc.), the more transparent MOTU is, the more inviting. If you have
ideas on how to improve that, please let me know.

Have a nice day,
 Daniel