Lack of ~motu expiry dates

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 12 22:51:12 GMT 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:04:32AM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 11.11.2007, 17:05 +0100 schrieb Soren Hansen:
> > On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 03:43:19PM +1100, William Grant wrote:
> > > During a discussion in #ubuntu-motu today, it was noted that none of
> > > the new (ie. post ~ubuntu-dev -> ~motu move) MOTU have expiry dates
> > > set.  This is probably a bad thing, as we should really be operating
> > > on the principle of least privilege, and having a lot of inactive
> > > members skews the totals - we don't have 100 active developers. It may
> > > be a simple oversight, in that ~ubuntu-dev had a default expiry period
> > > set, while ~motu doesn't.
> > >
> > > The possibility of reducing the default membership period (previously 2
> > > years) was also raised, so might be good to discuss.
> >
> > Having motu memebership expire seems sensible. Depending on the
> > bureaucracy involved in renewing the membership, it might also make
> > sense to lower the default membership period to perhaps one year.
> >
> > What has been the process for renewal of membership of ubuntu-dev?
> > Reapproval by TB or could you do yourself?
>
> I'm not sure myself.
>
> CCing Technical Board.

The Launchpad team is set up such that members can renew their own
membership prior to expiry if they wish.

I think that the lack of an expiry date on the motu team was an oversight
when we did the migration from ubuntu-dev.  I've manually set one-year
expirations for existing members who didn't have one, and changed the
default expiration for the team.

Please communicate this change to the team so they understand what the
messages mean.  Note that, IIRC, the message sent by Launchpad when the
expiration date is changed is not very informative.

--
 - mdz