Fast-track mentoring for lupine_85 and pricechild

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 17 14:20:15 GMT 2007

Stefan Potyra wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Saturday 17 March 2007 01:16:27 Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
>
>> Hi MOTU-Council
>>
>> I'm writing to request that the MOTU fast-track lupine_85 and
>> pricechild, who maintain Beryl packages for Ubuntu in the
>> beryl-project.org repository, into the MOTU team. I think it would be
>> very useful to have the upstreams uploading directly to Ubuntu, so we
>> can provide them with a mechanism to get faster feedback on Beryl which
>> might be in main for Feisty+1.
>>
>> If they are willing initially to limit their uploads to Beryl packages
>> (and related, themes and plugins), could we put them straight into the
>> team? Once they are established in terms of policies and procedures, we
>> can lift that restriction and invite them to upload with the same
>> freedom of anyone else in MOTU.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> to be honest, I'd like some feedback from MOTU on this topic first, thus I'm
> raising it on ubuntu-motu-ml. Can we move the discussion there?

Certainly - that's a good idea.

In essence I think it's worth fast-tracking MOTU membership when someone is:

 * a strong part of upstream, so likely to have good knowledge of the
package and how it should best be integrated into the distro
 * has some packaging experience, or is on a team which has people with
good packaging experience. In this case, Lupine_85 is producing good
quality Beryl packages already, and he and PriceChild are keen to get
those widely tested.

It would be great if the MOTU council could codify that as a standard
policy!

Mark