applying for MOTU membership

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 31 17:53:22 BST 2007

Hi Aron,

Am Dienstag 31 Juli 2007 11:45:33 schrieb Aron Sisak:
[..]

> The only idea I have to make Ubuntu better is that MOTU-wannabes could
> also consider fixing desktop-related bugs (and maybe updating
> desktop-related packages in the development branch). This might prove
> more useful than doing random new packages (idea comes from
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2007-July/002011.html).
> Bug fixes are always needed, both in Universe and Desktop Packages.

Well, I don't plainly buy the argument, that having "random new packages" is
all that bad. Getting in pet packages is imo an incentive for hopefuls to
contribute to ubuntu in the first place (and it was definitely nice for me to
see my first "own" package in the archive). Nonetheless I believe that Sarah
is right in the mail you quote that we end up with a number of packages in
the archive which aren't properly cared for in the long run. Also bug fixing
as you wrote is always a needed as well.

Now what do you believe are the main reasons that hopefuls rather bring in new
packages than fix existing ones? What could you do to motivate people to
spend more time fixing bugs and less on bringing in random new packages?

Cheers,
    Stefan.