MOTU Application

Alexander Sack asac at jwsdot.com
Mon Jul 2 11:36:51 BST 2007

Andrea is my MOTU student, so here a few comments ...

First I want to say, that I think that Andreas technical skills have
evolved pretty fast during the period I reviewed and sponsored his
uploads.

Further, I am sure that his technical abilities are better than those
of lots of other MOTUs, which of course doesn't justify to lower the
bar for becoming a MOTU.

Anyway, more importantly, he is eager and open to new ideas and
thoughts. Further, he has no problems to confess errors and searching
for a solution once it becomes obvious that he did wrong.

His technical skills are of course not perfect, but I am sure that
more responsibility and challenges will actually help to improve his
work-attitude and work-approach.

For instance I am pretty sure that he will check his uploads more
carefully than the debdiffs he attaches to bug report. 1st because he
has definitly matured during the past month a lot and 2nd because he
knows that an upload to the repository is more intrusive than
submitting a debdiff for review.

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 06:03:51AM +0200, Gauvain Pocentek wrote:

> I've seen several exemples of your merges for instance, and the
> bugreports seem to show that you have to provide several patches before
> having a good one accepted (bug 114499 for instance). Other examples are
> bug 121593 (broken versionning) and the regexxer FTFBS which is not
> fixed since May 09.

He might have needed several patches in the past, however its
more important that he is responsive and fixes things that pop-up
after an upload. And he does that.

I talked to him about regexxer and it appears that he was told to stay
away from that package .... we went over it again and he found how to
resolve the build-failures on his own. I will sponsor an upload so
regexxer should finally build again.

> Do you realize that becoming a MOTU means that you can touch any package
> in Universe/Multiverse without  someone checking your work?

I think he will take extra care and will not upload in case he does
not understand what he is doing. He might break and upload here and
there, but hey, thats normal and as long as doesn't drop the ball on
broken packages, this is definitly good.

 - Alexander