Summary of the discussion about Marco Rodrigues

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 22 11:05:52 GMT 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 06:04:43PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I find the response to my request to be excessively legalistic.

I know I said I didn't want to discuss the matter any further, but I
couldn't get that statement out of my head last night.

We clearly have wildly different opinions of what is an appropriate way
to run a community. If I understand you correctly, you want us to have
kicked Marco out a long time ago (I'm not sure how you envisioned the
process to do so, though), while /I/ think that if we're going to kick
someone out, we'd better be absolutely sure that every part of the
process is well documented, and that the proper official approach has
been taken.  If it turns out that Marco gets kicked out in the end, I
want to be completely sure that noone can accuse us of being rash, or
for basing this all on personal matters. This goes both for Marco, for
the press, or whoever might feel like digging a bit into this story.

Taking the right approach does not imply being slow. We, however, had
never had to deal with anything like this before, and then things simply
take more time. If a similar situation arises at some point, we are now
in a much better position to deal with it quickly and appropriately.

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team