Summary of the discussion about Marco Rodrigues

Soren Hansen soren at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 21 09:38:57 GMT 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 03:14:23PM +1100, Sarah Hobbs wrote:
> > As nobody has complained about my summary yet, I'll get my vote in
> > now.
> My only concern about the way this is being handled is that now, he's
> being given yet another chance, after already having many (although
> not given by the MC, as it did not act for months, even when it knew
> about the issues by written (at first, private, then public) email,
> and was discussed at UDS Boston, almost 2 months ago).

I realise that the time spent waiting for a resolution to this mess has
been annoying for a lot of people (the MC included).  I just wish you'd
calm down with the bantering and consider the alternatives. Sure, the MC
could have probably cowboyed Kmos out. We could have done a million
things within minutes of smelling something wrong, not even waiting for
someone to file a complaint, but that's not how a civilised community
works.  In the real world, there are tons and tons of laws covering
almost every conceivable thing that the established community wants its
citizens to do and not do. This is due to hundreds of years of
experience with people doing things the rest of the community did not
approve of, and thus laws were written to prohibit said actions and
define sanctions in case the laws were broken.

The rule book of the Ubuntu development community is full of pages
waiting to be written. When the community comes across actions that it
doesn't approve of, they can try to work it out in a friendly way
amongst themselves, and only if that doesn't work out, take it to the
MC. It may be surprising, but being an established member of the
community does not mean that you can go to MC and tell them what you
think is wrong, and what you think they should do about it, and then
expect them to do so, no questions asked.  To maintain a civilised
community, it's the job of the MC to look at the particular cases that
are brought before them and make considered decisions that can form
precedents for future, similar cases.

It's not the job of the MC to go looking for things we might not approve
of. It's the job of the MC to act on the community's members' input and
attempt to look at all aspects of the issues that arise before making a
decision.  I'd much rather be slow than make rash decisions.

> And if he screws up on this one, he's likely to be told to wait for a
> while, and then given yet another chance...and another...and
> another...
>
> This could well go on indefinitely, and be used as a way for the MC to
> avoid making a concrete decision, instead of just asking for more time.

You seem to know something about the MC's wishes that I'm not myself
aware of... Why would it be in the interest of the MC to not make a
decision?

--
Soren Hansen
Ubuntu Server Team