Summary of the discussion about Marco Rodrigues

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 20 16:00:40 GMT 2007

As nobody has complained about my summary yet, I'll get my vote in now.

On Di, 2007-12-18 at 17:28 +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> 1)  Scott Kitterman asks the members of the MOTU Council to share their
> idea about the fitness of Marco Rodrigues for becoming a MOTU.

I hope my words in a previous mail have been clear enough, I'll repeat
them here again: "From reviewing his work for a longer time now I get
the impression that Marco has the tendency to do too many things at
once. I personally feel that until this changes, Marco can't become a
MOTU - he needs to be more careful."

For you, Marco, I'd like to add an advice: it can be very gratifying to
get a lot done in a short amount of time, also it's nice to get
recognised for good work by other maintainers, in changelogs, upstream
products and so on, but please bear in mind how much time it costs to do
good reviews and how frustrating it can be to do reviews over and over
again just because of a lack of dedication to quality and to make things
perfect.

> 2b)  Daniel Holbach proposes that Marco will be asked to agree to run
> all of his work by volunteers. (Daniel Holbach and Cesare Tirabassi
> agreed to work with him.) The volunteers will report every two weeks
> about what's going on.
>
> Jordan Mantha adds that Marco will be given a (last) chance to
> officially redeem himself by giving him a probationary period where he
> is under MOTU scrutiny. Marco commits to not mass filing bug reports.
> This should involve tracking also his bug comments, IRC behaviour, etc.
> If anybody notices something inappropriate (not asking for perfection,
> but looking out for disruptive behaviour) a MC member should be notified
> right away. This includes re-evaluation, taking sponsors feedback into
> account. Any problem brought up to the MC during the probationary
> period. If the evaluation is positive then we should officially
> reinstate him as a regular contributor. If the evaluation doesn't go
> well, we must ask him to no longer work on Ubuntu.

I'd like to thank everybody for their input and specifically Jordan for
adding clarification to point 2b), also Cesare for agreeing to help
review and reporting (anybody else?).

+1 for this alternative.

Marco: I want to make it clear that you are to CC Cesare and me on bug
reports (I noticed that you are doing this already), but that you leave
it to one of us to subscribe ubuntu-{main,universe}-sponsors and other
teams (like ubuntu-archive). We'll be your point of contact for now.
(For the christmas time this might include waiting periods.)

I just set up https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Council/KmosReport (all in
the assumption, that this proposal will be agreed on).

Marco: please take a step back from your work and realise to what length
we go to ensure your right to work with us, please don't disappoint us.

> 3)  Scott Kitterman proposes that the MOTU Council tells Marco, that he
> is invited to read the MOTU mailing list and the IRC channel so that he
> can continue to attempt to learn, but that he is not to give
> advice/answers or disrupt the activities of developers (asking the
> channel generically for an answer wouldn't count, but bothering specific
> developers would). Also that the MC authorise IRC operators and mailing
> list admins to enforce this if he does not restrain himself.

-1. I don't believe this a good idea in the current form.

I do agree though that Marco would do good to not bother specific people
but ask questions publicly, so that everybody can learn from them.

Thanks again everybody for helping out in forming a proposal. I'm sure
this is going to make a difference, in both this case and establishing
the MC as a governance body that takes its job serious.

Thanks again Scott for bringing this up. Thanks Marco for replying to
the thread and staying calm through all of it.

Have a nice day everybody,
 Daniel